La Capitale's head office is BOMA’s Building of the Year
May 12, 2017 – The head office of La Capitale Insurance and Financial Group was named Corporate Facility of the Year at the BOMA AWARDS gala on May 10 in Montreal.
“This prestigious award highlights, in particular, our management excellence, the quality of our operations, our resource conservation and our environmental awareness,” said Bruno Turcotte, Vice-President of Real Estate and Material Resources at La Capitale.
La Capitale's head office building, which was inaugurated in 2013, is a real architectural treasure on Quebec City's Parliament Hill. Its presence there signifies La Capitale’s commitment to its origins.
In addition to that award, the building received Platinum level BOMA BEST® environmental certification on March 29. This is the highest certification level of the five available. It recognizes the value of environmental management and energy practices at La Capitale's head office, which contribute to a healthy work environment and to a reduction of the company’s environmental footprint.
To obtain this certification, the building was evaluated based on 14 criteria in line with the following six aspects of energy performance: energy, water, waste reduction, emissions and effluents, indoor environment and environmental management systems.
A few highlights:
- Glass double-skin facade allowing passive ventilation of indoor spaces
- Recovery of heat from the server room and fitness centre
- Radiant system on the perimeter of the building to heat the exterior walls and the floors
- Fan coils installed on each floor, which are supplied by a central fresh air system to provide heating and cooling as needed
- Building automation system for remote control of more than 50,000 setpoints
- Abundant natural light, with outside views for more than 90% of building occupants
- Vegetated layer on 60% of the roof surface, reducing the urban heat island effect and retaining nearly 90% of rainwater.
- Effective waste management
- Shower, change areas and bike racks inside the building
- Underground parking with five charging stations for electric cars
About La Capitale
La Capitale Insurance and Financial Group, created in 1940, has a strong presence across Quebec and throughout Canada. With over 2,680 employees and guided by the values of mutualism on which it was founded, La Capitale works with clients to build, protect and value what they feel counts for their financial security. It offers insurance products and financial services to the general public as well as to Quebec public service employees. With assets of $6.4 billion, La Capitale occupies a choice position among leading insurers in Canada.
– 30 –