Collision - Auto

To file a claim

1 800 461-0770

24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Online claim

Roadside assistance hotline: 1 866 432-2049

Had a collision in your car?

Feel free to contact us, even if you’re not sure whether you need to file an insurance claim. We’ll help you take stock of the situation, tell you what you need to know and support you through every step of the claim process. Read this page for plenty of useful information.

Steps involved in settling a collision claim



Contact us as soon as possible with your insurance policy number on hand.  We’ll open a file and walk you through how things work and the documents you need to submit.

Send in your documents with our mobile app.


Damage appraisal and claim assessment

At this stage, we determine your liability in the accident, decide whether your vehicle can be repaired and assess the cost of repairing or replacing it.


Consult the damage estimate in Client Centre



We determine the terms of the settlement according to the coverage in your contract.


See the settlement amount in Client Centre



Have any emergency repairs done that are necessary for your safety and keep all invoices and receipts. Depending on the settlement and the repair shop’s preference, we’ll either write you a cheque or pay the shop directly.


Consult our list of approved auto repair and body shops

Additional information

  • Deductible

  • Premium

  • Repairs

The deductible is the amount the insured must pay in the event of a claim. The higher the deductible, the lower the cost of insurance. The higher the deductible, the more the insured will have to pay for damages in the event of a loss.

Do I have to pay a deductible?

Under the Quebec automobile insurance policy, you are usually responsible for paying the deductible set out in the Declarations of your policy.

However, at La Capitale, we don’t charge a deductible:

  • For a total loss
  • If you are the victim of a hit-and-run (confirmed by a police report) and have collision coverage

Who do I pay my deductible to?

When a deductible applies, the amount is deducted from the indemnity payment. If your vehicle can be repaired, you pay the deductible to the shop that you have selected to repair your vehicle.

When you renew your auto insurance, insurers use any claims reported in the last five years to determine the risk of you being involved in another accident. The more claims you have on file, the higher the risk and the more your premium is likely to increase.

Will my premium increase?

Changes in insurance premiums at renewal are affected by several factors, such as where you live, how much you use your vehicle, the type of vehicle and your driving record. Your driving record includes an accident history, which includes losses other than collisions. It is the number of claims in the last five years (and not the amount paid in claims) that has an impact on the premium.

Find out more

What impact does the Automobile Claims Database (FCSA) have on the calculation of my Auto insurance premium?

The Automobile Claims Database catalogues all auto losses for the previous six years, whether or not a claim is filed. It allows your insurer to determine the risk that you represent and establish your premium accordingly.

Find out more

Once your claim file has been opened, our teams get to work to make sure life gets back to normal for you as quickly as possible. We’re here to help at every step of the process and make sure the coverage included in your contract is applied. That being said, you are free to make decisions when it comes to repairing your vehicle.

Who authorizes the repair shop to proceed?

The vehicle owner. You are the only one who can authorize repairs to your damaged vehicle throughout the entire claim process. The selected repair shop will have you sign a document authorizing the repairs to your vehicle.

Can I choose which repair shop I take my vehicle to?

Yes, you can choose which shop repairs your damaged vehicle. If you’re not sure which one would be best or would like some help in choosing one, La Capitale works with a network of approved auto repair and body shops that can:

  • Assess the damage
  • Provide you with a replacement vehicle free of charge while the repairs are being done
  • Offer additional warranties on repairs 

Am I entitled to a rental vehicle while my automobile is being repaired?

The vast majority of our network of body shops and dealers offer courtesy vehicles while repairs are being made to your vehicle.

If, however, you are not able to have a courtesy vehicle, check to see whether your coverage includes Q.E.F. 20 Loss of Use Extension Endorsement.  If so, this endorsement will cover the cost of renting a replacement vehicle while yours is being repaired.

Find out more

Who receives the cheque for repairs and who is it made out to?

If you assign your claim to the repair shop or the owner has a payment agreement with us, we will pay the repair shop directly by cheque or direct deposit.

Otherwise, the cheque is issued in the designated insured's and the repair shop's name.

How does the insurer determine whether my vehicle is repairable or a total loss?

For a vehicle to be declared a total loss, the cost of repairs must be greater than the value of the vehicle on the date of the accident. While the majority of vehicles declared a total loss are irreparable, it may be possible to rebuild some severely damaged vehicles, but they would cost more to repair than to replace with an equivalent vehicle.

  • Civil liability

  • Collision with injuries

  • How the coverage works

What if you crash into your neighbour’s fence or make a dent in a street lamp that is city property? Civil liability insurance is mandatory as part of your auto insurance. It covers you if you are held liable for unintentional bodily injury or accidental damage to someone else’s property.

What is civil liability?

If you unintentionally cause bodily injury or physical damage to another person’s property, you have a legal obligation to remedy the damage. This often represents substantial compensation amounts, which civil liability insurance protects you from having to assume.

This protection would also cover you if you had to defend yourself in court after being served a formal notice, alleging your civil liability. Your insurer would bear the expenses of your defence, including your lawyer’s fees and court costs.

This protection, which is included in basic home and auto insurance plans, can be increased for a few dollars more, to ensure that you have adequate protection in any situation that may arise.

What should you do if your vehicle causes damage to another person’s property?

  1. Give your details to the property owner.
  2. Notify the police and keep the police report number.
  3. Refrain from entering into an agreement to reimburse the owner of the damaged property.
  4. Call our claims department. 

What should I do if I or one of my passengers has been injured?

  1. Notify the police and keep the police report number.
  2. Notify the Société d’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) at 1 888 810‑2525.
  3. If the accident occurs outside the province of Quebec, Canada or the United States, call 1 800 463‑6898 (toll free). 

What does Quebec’s public automobile insurance plan cover in the event of an automobile accident?

All Quebec residents who sustain injuries or lose their life in an automobile accident are insured under the public automobile insurance plan administered by the SAAQ, no matter where the accident occurs and whether or not they are deemed at fault.

Reimbursement of expenses related to clothing and accessories damaged in an accident

Any damage sustained to property the victim is wearing at the time of an accident is covered by the SAAQ. This includes clothing, eyeglasses, contact lenses, prostheses and other devices, as well as motorcycle helmets.

The SAAQ applies limits to the amounts covered. If the amount paid by the SAAQ is insufficient, a benefit may be payable by your insurer. To learn more, contact us at 1 800 461-0770 or visit the SAAQ website.

Property and casualty insurance is a type of insurance that covers your property and your liability in the event of fire, accident, etc. Depending on the coverage you choose and the conditions set out in your contract, some specifics or exceptions may apply when the time comes to file a claim. Feel free to contact your insurance agent or claims adjuster if you have any questions or concerns about your insurance coverage. 

Who determines the responsibility of the drivers in the event of an accident?

The claims adjuster collects information during the course of the investigation that allows him or her to determine the responsibility of the drivers involved in the accident.  The percentage of responsibility of the drivers is determined according to the Drivers’ Fault Chart of the Direct Compensation Agreement (DCA) (PDF - 1.64 Mb).

Should I report the accident if I don’t make a claim for damage to my vehicle?

Yes. If you have caused damage to a third party in an accident and the Direct Compensation Agreement (DCA) doesn’t apply (for example, you were involved in an accident outside of Quebec or you hit immovable property such as a fence, pole, street lamp, etc.), the third party is likely to claim for damages.
Civil liability insurance covers you against the financial consequences of this type of accident.

Furthermore, it is preferable to call your insurer when you have an accident, even a minor one.

Who pays for damage to my vehicle if I am not responsible for the accident?

Under the Direct Compensation Agreement set up by the Groupement des assureurs automobile  (GAA), your insurer pays for damage to your vehicle in the event of an accident (whether or not you are at fault) if the following three conditions are met:

  • The accident occurs in Quebec
  • The accident involves at least two vehicles or one vehicle and the load of another vehicle
  • The vehicle owners are identified

In the event of a hit-and-run, if you don't have collision insurance in your contract, contact the SAAQ at 1 800 361-7620 or The fund reimburses property damage caused to a vehicle by a non-identified third party. In this case, you must provide a police report and a deductible is applicable. See the SAAQ website for details.



Joint report

Fill out your joint report using the application created by the Groupement des assureurs automobiles or print a copy and keep it in the glove compartment.

Download (PDF)
Download on Google Play
Download on App Store


Online services

Access Client Centre through our website or with our mobile app to file an automobile claim, track your claims and easily send in your documents (joint report, receipts, photos, etc.).

Access Client Centre
Download on Google Play
Download on App Store


To file a claim or check the status
of your file

1 800 461-0770