File a claim at 1 800 461-0770

24 hours a day, 7 days a week

You or your passengers are injured

  1. Obtain a police report and send it to your claims adjuster.
  2. Notify the Société d'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) at 1 888 810-2525. If the accident occurs outside the province of Quebec, Canada or the United States, please call 1 800 463-6898 (toll-free).


Québec's public automobile insurance plan (SAAQ)

All Quebec residents who sustain injuries or lose their life in an automobile accident in the province of Quebec or anywhere else in the world, whether deemed at-fault or not for such accident, are insured under the public automobile insurance plan administered by the SAAQ.

For information on the exclusions under to the plan

Reimbursement of expenses related to the clothes and other goods damaged during the accident

Any damage sustained to property the victim is wearing at the time of an accident is covered by the SAAQ. This includes clothing, eyeglasses, contact lenses, prostheses and other devices, as well as motorcycle helmets.

The SAAQ applies limits to this coverage. In the event that the amount reimbursed by the SAAQ is insufficient, an additional benefit may be payable by your insurer in certain situations. For more information, please contact us at 1 800 461-0770.

Your vehicle is damaged

  1. Obtain a police report or a Joint Report of Automobile Accident copy and send it to your claims adjuster.
  2. Record the names and contact information of all independent witnesses. Their versions of the events will help clarify the circumstances of the accident.
  3. Sketch a diagram of the accident or take photos of the scene of the accident, if possible.
  4. Proceed with the emergency repairs that are necessary for your safety and keep the invoices. Consult our list of approved auto repair and body shops.
  5. Keep all invoices and receipts related to additional transportation costs incurred because your vehicle is inoperable and send it to your claims adjuster.
  6. Contact our Claims Department at 1 800 461-0770 to report the loss as soon as possible.
    • You are involved in a car accident outside the province of Quebec? Report the loss! Even if you do not plan on claiming the damage to your own vehicle, the passengers of the other vehicle involved in the accident could sue, looking for a considerable sum as compensation for property damage and bodily injury.

Download La Capitale mobile app

Use your La Capitale mobile app to send photos and other information to finalize your claim.


Under the Quebec automobile insurance policy, you are responsible for paying the deductible set out in the Declarations of your policy.

However, at La Capitale, we handle things differently!

  • If your vehicle is deemed a total loss, the deductible does not apply.
  • In the event of a hit-and-run, if your insurance policy includes collision coverage and a police report has been filed, the deductible does not apply.

Your vehicle has caused damage to someone else's property

Damage to the third party property (fence, garage, tree, etc.) is covered under the "Civil Liability" section of your insurance policy.

  1. Provide your personal information to the owner of the damaged property. According to the Highway Safety Code, leaving the scene of an accident without leaving your contact information can constitute a driving offence.
  2. Contact the police immediately and mark down the police report number.
  3. Avoid agreeing to reimbursements with the owner of the damaged property.
  4. Contact our Claims Department at 1 800 461-0770 to report the loss as soon as possible so we can assess the damages rapidly.

Did you know that …

Our roadside assistance can move your vehicle to a safe location? Verify if you have access to this service.

Have more questions? Go to our FAQ.