Home insurance for secondary residence (cottage) owners
Advantages of insuring your cottage with La Capitale
Save an average of $425 by bundling your home, auto or leisure vehicle insurance.1
Pay a single deductible when a loss affects two or more insured items.
Free: Receive Airmedic emergency air ambulance services when you also insure your car or primary residence with us. Worth $250 per year including taxes!
What does home insurance for cottage owners cover?
Which optional coverages are available?
2 coverage levels available to meet your needs
Seasonal cottage coverage, for those whose cottage is not occupied year-round.
It covers your cottage, its contents and your other structures (such as a shed) in the event of damage caused by such things as fire, wind (including tornadoes), lightning and certain types of water damage (e.g. leak from a household appliance or plumbing fixture).
Year-round occupied cottage coverage, which enables you to have your cottage covered as your primary residence.
- your cottage and its contents in the event of damage caused by such things as fire, theft, vandalism, wind and certain types of water damage (e.g. dishwasher leak due to a pipe burst)
- your civil liability for damage you could cause to other persons. For example, if your letter carrier accidentally fell on your icy driveway and got hurt, you would be covered.
- damage associated with an earthquake, caused by smoke, fire or an explosion.
Coverage is also included for certain specific items:
- Your bikes, CDs, DVDs and video games are automatically covered without limitation, regardless of their value.
- You can get a good amount of free coverage for your wines and spirits, or opt for unlimited protection, if you have a valuable wine cellar.
- You can adjust the coverage amounts for certain items, such as jewellery or works of art, based on their value.
Legal Access insurance
For a little over $1 a week, get access to financial support that allows you to be represented by a lawyer should you need one (e.g. latent defects, drawing up a will or protection mandate, family mediation sessions exceeding those assumed by the government).
Claim forgiveness coverage
Avoid premium increases resulting from one or even two home insurance claims.
Firm in Damage Insurance. At all times, terms and conditions pertaining to coverage are governed solely by the insurance contract. Some conditions and exclusions apply. 1. Source: June 2017 SOM survey of La Capitale clients who bundled at least two products among home, auto and leisure vehicle insurance. Average savings calculated using the declared amounts of 142 respondents who benefited from a savings. This amount is for information purposes only and does not guarantee savings.