Frequently Asked Questions – COVID-19
Last updated on June 30 at 17:10 p.m.
Premium reduction for our auto insurance clients1
Which period did the auto insurance premium reduction apply to?
The reduction applied to the monthly auto insurance premium for each month of the confinement, i.e. from April 1 to June 30, 2020.
Who was eligible for the auto insurance premium reduction?
This reduction applied to all of La Capitale’s personal or commercial auto insurance clients during the confinement period, whether they decreased their mileage or not.1
If you were still driving the same distance during this period, it’s surely because you provided an essential service to the public. In recognition of your sacrifice and essential contribution, we made sure that you could also take advantage of this premium reduction.
How was my premium reduction calculated?
The reduction equalled 20% of the monthly auto insurance premium and was automatically calculated using the premium for each month of confinement, i.e. from April 1 to June 30, 2020.
What should I have done to receive my premium reduction?
No action on your part was required. All the details about how you will receive your reduction was calculated are answered in the next question.
When and how was my premium reduction distributed?
The method in which the premium reduction applied varied according to the method of payment you use to pay your auto insurance premiums.
- If you had already paid your premium in full, we sent you a cheque in the amount of your reduction as of mid-July. All these cheques have now been sent.
- If you pay your premium through payroll deduction, we sent you a cheque in the amount of your reduction as of mid-July. All these cheques have now been sent.
- If you pay your premiums through preauthorized bank payments, your premium reduction was applied to the payment(s) following each month of confinement. Therefore, for June, i.e. the last month eligible for the reduction, the reduction was applied on the July payment.
Why did you select June 30 as the last day eligible for a reduction?
The auto insurance premium reduction was initiated to compensate our clients for the decrease in road accidents during the community confinement. In June, the Quebec government allowed individuals and businesses to gradually return to work. This resulted in more normal traffic circulation and therefore, the risk of accidents. That’s why we consider that June is the last month of community confinement eligible for the reduction.
I am not using my vehicle as often as I used it to prior to the confinement. Can I continue receiving a reduction on my auto insurance premium?
Since June 30, 2020, if the use of your vehicle is not the same as prior to the confinement period, please contact us so that we can update your file:
- For a personal vehicle, please dial 1 844 780-8136.
- For a commercial vehicle, please dial 1 844 780-4260.
If eligible, your auto insurance premium may be adjusted to reflect your reduced mileage and actual use of the vehicle.