Free coverage in the event of hospitalization due to COVID‑19
Information for insureds
You'll find the terms and conditions of this free coverage available to all those who hold individual Critical Illness insurance and their families in the event of being diagnosed with and hospitalized due to COVID-19.
Read the terms and conditions to find out more about the coverage.
Refer to our FAQ for answers to the most frequently asked questions.
Complete the form for filing a claim under the hospitalization due to COVID-19 benefit.
Terms and conditions
Hospitalization due to COVID-19 benefit
Insurer: La Capitale Civil Service Insurer Inc. or La Capitale Financial Security Insurance Company.
Beneficiary: The person designated as the beneficiary of the insured amount under Critical Illness insurance.
Critical Illness insurance: Any individual critical illness insurance in force with the Insurer, which provides for a lump-sum payment if the Insured suffers from one of the critical illnesses listed in the contractand to which the Hospitalization due to COVID-19 benefit applies.
Hospital: A recognized Canadian hospital centre excluding, but not limited to, residential and long-term care centres and convalescent homes.
Hospitalization: This term means that a covered person is admitted to a Hospital for treatment as an in-patient.
This coverage is valid from May 11, 2020 to July 31, 2020.
|Insured age 18 or over||Insured under age 18|
The Insured, his or her Spouse and Dependent Children
Insured: A person age eighteen (18) or over at the beginning of the coverage period, who is designated as the insured under the Critical Illness insurance benefit.
Spouse: The person, who at the time of the Hospitalization,
Dependent Child: A person, who at the time of the Hospitalization,
The Insured, his or her Parents and any Brothers or Sisters
Insured: A person under age eighteen (18) at the beginning of the coverage period, who is designated as the insured under the Critical Illness insurance benefit.
Brother or Sister: A person, who at the time of Hospitalization,
Parent: The person, who at the time of the Hospitalization,
The insured amount is $2,000.
The insured amount is only paid one single time under the benefit, even if several people who are covered under the same Hospitalization due to COVID-19 benefit meet the eligibility conditions.
If a covered person is insured under more than one Hospitalization due to COVID-19 benefit issued by the Insurer, the payable insured amount is limited to $2,000 for all such coverage.
This coverage is offered free of charge to policyholders of Critical Illness insurance in force with the Insurer.
Eligibility conditionsTo be eligible for the payment of the insured amount:
- The Critical Illness insurance must be in force during the entire Hospitalization of the covered person; and
- The covered person must test positive for COVID-19 or be diagnosed with COVID-19 by a physician; and
- The Hospitalization of the covered person must begin after May 11, 2020; and
- The covered person must be hospitalized at least forty-eight (48) consecutive hours in a Hospital during the coverage period; and
- The covered person must receive treatment for one or more usual complications of COVID-19 that require Hospitalization.
Exclusions and limitations of coverageThe Insurer will not pay the insured amount if:
- The covered person’s Hospitalization is not continuous or is less than forty-eight (48) consecutive hours; or
- The covered person’s Hospitalization is due to a reason other than the usual complications of COVID-19; or
- The treatment received does not usually require that a person be hospitalized; or
- The treatment received by the covered person is administered outside a Hospital.
Claim for benefits and payment of the insured amount
The Insurer must receive a written claim for benefits within ninety (90) days after the last day of Hospitalization. The claimant must also provide the Insurer with all proof that may reasonably be requested for establishing the validity of the claim.
Failure to provide the Insurer with a written claim for benefits within the prescribed period or to provide proof discharges the Insurer of its obligation to pay the insured amount.
The insured amount is paid by the Insurer to the Beneficiary upon receipt of an eligible claim and all proof that it may reasonably request.